If military service has led to substance use disorder (SUD) or mental health problems, Overcome’s SUD Primary Partial Care and Intensive Outpatient Care program is designed JUST for you
Substance abuse is a significant issue among military personnel, both active duty and veterans. While the United States only has about 1 million active service members, approximately 20 million veterans live in the country, composing about 10% of the total population. Although not all military personnel struggle with substance use disorder, heavy drinking and pain pill usage among active-duty members and many veterans is common.
According to the US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), in the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, about 1 in 10 returning Veterans seen in VA have a problem with alcohol or other drugs. Veterans also face challenges that may lead them to consider using drugs or alcohol once they’re no longer in active service.
- 4 in 10 veterans with a substance use disorder struggled with illicit drugs
- 7 in 10 struggled with alcohol use
- 1 in 8 struggled with illicit drugs and alcohol
Co-occurring substance use and mental illness are common and there are significantly higher rates of substance use among adults with mental illness. Millions of veterans struggle with substance use disorder and mental illness. According to the National Survey on Drug Use and Health (NSDUH), in 2020:
- 26.2% (5.2 million) veterans had a mental illness and/or substance use disorder
- 55% of veterans aged 26 or older (or 10.9 million people) used alcohol
- 2.4 percent (or 485,000 people) misused opioids
- 10.4 percent (or 2.1 million people) used marijuana
Don’t go another day battling your addiction — we offer the treatment support you need!
Overcome has New Jersey’s #1 Drug Addiction Treatment Team
At Overcome, we provide personalized substance abuse treatment to help clients achieve and sustain long-term recovery. Our outpatient services address drug and alcohol abuse and co-occurring mental health disorders. We offer veterans Substance Use Disorder Primary Partial Care and Intensive Outpatient Care at our Lakewood campus that includes:
- Trauma Informed Care
- Medication-assisted treatment (MAT)
- Therapy for post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Counseling for Anger Management
- Group and Individual Psychotherapy